Can a nursing home resident give away their income, or does it need to be spent on medically necessary care? Let us say a person is in a nursing home and wants to give their grandchild $50 for their birthday. Can they do that?

Monday, Nov. 16th 2020 5:43 AM

There is currently no transfer of income penalty in California. However, a nursing home resident’s income must be used to meet their SOC, or Medi-Cal will pay for NO services during that month. The nursing home resident is allowed only $35 for personal needs. It is fine if he/she wants to give their $35 away, but then there will be nothing for personal needs unless the individual wants to dip into their $2,000 property reserve. Funds from their $2,000 property reserve may also be given away without penalty. When funds are used from the $2,000 property reserve, the reserve can be increased the following month to the $2,000 limit

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Posted on Monday, Nov. 16th 2020 5:43 AM | by Share of Cost | in Medi-Cal, Share of Cost | No Comments »

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.