How do you get rid of share of cost? Do I have to buy health insurance each month or can I use an approved dental plan to get rid of the monthly Medi-Cal Share of Cost
Getting rid of the Share of Cost requirement in Medi-Cal involves meeting the necessary conditions to eliminate or reduce this financial obligation. It’s important to note that Share of Cost is specific to Medi-Cal and is not directly related to purchasing health insurance. Instead, it’s about demonstrating that your medical expenses are high enough to fulfill the Share of Cost amount, thus making you eligible for full Medi-Cal coverage.
Here are some key points to consider:
- Meeting the Share of Cost: To eliminate the Share of Cost requirement for a particular month, you need to ensure that your medical expenses exceed the specified Share of Cost amount for that month. Once you have paid medical expenses equal to or higher than the Share of Cost, your Share of Cost for that month is considered met, and you become eligible for full Medi-Cal coverage for the remainder of that month.
- Approved Dental Plan and Share of Cost: While Medi-Cal covers various medical services, dental services are handled separately through the Medi-Cal Dental Program. Approved dental plans or dental services alone generally do not count towards meeting your Share of Cost for general medical services. Dental services under Medi-Cal Dental Program have their own set of rules and coverage.
- Regular Medical Expenses: The Share of Cost is often met by regular medical expenses such as doctor visits, prescriptions, hospital stays, and other covered medical services. These expenses need to accumulate throughout the month until they reach or exceed the Share of Cost amount.
- Income and Deductions: The Share of Cost amount is determined based on your income and certain allowable deductions. If your financial situation changes, your Share of Cost might also change.
- Reporting and Documentation: Keeping accurate records of your medical expenses and submitting the necessary documentation to Medi-Cal is crucial for the Share of Cost process. This documentation helps demonstrate that you have met the requirement.
- Renewal and Recalculation: Share of Cost is recalculated periodically, often during annual reviews or when there are changes in your financial situation. Ensuring your information is up to date is important.
It’s important to check with your local Medi-Cal office or their official resources for the most accurate and current information about Share of Cost requirements, eligible expenses, and how to meet them. If you’re looking to reduce or eliminate your Share of Cost, consider consulting with a Medi-Cal representative to understand the specific rules and procedures that apply to your situation. ShareOfCost.com has an alternative approved dental health care plan to meet the spend down requirements.